We are no longer accepting applications for this position as of 5/12/21
The Double Shift podcast is a critically acclaimed show looking for a part-time producer to help us challenge the status quo of motherhood in America through storytelling, candid conversation, and groundbreaking journalism. If you are passionate about feminism, gender equity and issues affecting mothers and families (and therefore all communities), we want to hear from you.
In the past year we have covered: the financial cost of the pandemic for moms, the childcare crisis, universal basic income, the complexities of running a mission-driven business in a time of uncertainty, maternal mental health, and grief (and the liberation it can bring). The topics are serious and so are we -- and we bring humor, compassion and radical transparency to these stories that provoke and inspire.
The producer will have a hand in almost every aspect of show production and will allow you to learn about nearly all aspects of the indie podcast industry.
Core responsibilities include:
- Generate topic and guest ideas, as well as ideas for special projects
- Research potential guests
- Conduct pre-interviews
- Develop questions for and produce interviews
- Coordinate schedules, schedule guest interviews, coach guests on how to record best sound, oversee remote recordings
- Audio edit interviews and host tracks
- Cleaning and finessing audio cuts
- Mixing music in audio
- Manage social media, newsletter and website
- Manage community engagement efforts
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Proficiency with audio editing software (our final product is mixed and mastered in ProTools -- However, you don’t have to have your own license. We'd accept deliverables in other formats as long as translating tools allow sessions to be opened seamlessly in ProTools.) (Required)
- Three years experience as a producer for narrative audio podcast/radio show, documentary audio outlet, or news show.
- Highly detail oriented with a proficiency for project managing multiple tasks at once.
- A strong writer and communicator with your co-workers -- as well as with our audience.
- Quick learner and willingness to be a proactive problem solver
- One year experience managing an institutional/brand social media presence
Preferred but not required:
- Background in developing and executing community/audience engagement efforts for a news outlet, podcast or brand.
- Based in RDU area of North Carolina (Our team is primarily in Durham, NC)
You will be working closely with our small team and will be overseen by a senior producer.
If you meet 70% of our criteria, please consider applying. We strongly encourage candidates who identify as women, BIPOC, and/or queer or from other marginalized communities not well represented in media, including mothers, to apply.
You do not need to be a mom to work on the show, but a passion for our issues and a love of great storytelling are big pluses.
Pay is $40/hour and hours may vary from 20-30 hrs a week. But we can guarantee a minimum of 20 hours per week through 2021. We are growing and there may be opportunities for more hours and additional responsibilities in the future.
To apply: Please send a brief (400 words or less) cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “producer job” in your subject line.