Welcome to The Double Shift.
We are a newsletter and community that's a social change laboratory for moms.*
Our weekly newsletter is focused on examining the forces that shape family life in America, and ways to challenge the status quo of motherhood. Expect storytelling, bold ideas, and ways to envision a better future for all.
*While we often center mothers in our work, everyone who cares about care is welcome, regardless of gender identity or parental status.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
Most media aimed at moms tries to convince us that we are one app, one workshop, one lunch packaging strategy, and one self-help hardcover away from "making it all work" and "having it all." The core belief is that what's difficult about being a mother in the 21st century can be fixed with personal micro-solutions.
We believe the opposite. We are interested in systemic solutions to personal problems, because there's nothing wrong with us moms. What is broken is our society. And together, we can start to make more meaningful connections, explore big ideas and start to make in-roads to make a more just world for everyone.
Become a Member
As a Double Shifter, you'll be part of a community that values:
Solidarity — not advice
Bold ideas — not life hacks
Curiosity — not judgment
Thoughtful research and analysis — not uninformed flame throwing
Your paying membership allows this to be one of the very-few non-corporate spaces left on the internet. We believe in revolution, not revenue projections.
Our membership community is for building connections around political, social and workplace change, transforming families and building a more just future for everyone.
Even if you don't have bandwidth for "activism" or "big projects," come for solidarity and inspiration. You are already enough. Come to know that you are not alone.
What your membership pays for:
- A fair wage for Katherine's time
- Paying talented independent workers who contribute to this project a fair wage
- The costs of running a small business, from website hosting to accounting software
- Keeping the thoughtful reporting and commentary in the newsletter free for all, allowing our ideas and values to reach the most people possible.
As a member, you'll get:
An audio version of the newsletter to listen to
on your favorite player
The ability to comment on public posts and members-only threads
Access to members-only hangouts on Zoom
(and in person!)
More benefits coming,
based on member feedback!
- audio newsletter in your favorite player
- weekly members-only threads
- connecting virtually and IRL w/other community members
- All the benefits of contributors
- Your support keeps the newsletter accessible to all readers
- We'll donate a Double Shift membership to someone who wants it but can't afford it right now
- All of the benefits of Contributors & Supporters
- Limited access to first-come first-serve monthly office hours w/Katherine to discuss the topic of your choice